Although interiors are not as “disposable” as apparel
products, it is still an investment that consumers must be willing to make.
As mentioned in Fashioning Sustainability Forum for the Future, cotton is the most widely
used textile in our industry, which encourages cheap, large scale production.Finding interior products, such and pillows, which are made with organic or
recycled goods is challenging. I currently work in the purchasing department at
a home goods wholesaler. Because of my experience with overseas vendors and
factories, I have become familiar with the challenges with finding sustainable
materials. In order to make a “green” pillow, factories will most likely need
to source organic cotton (which some are not willing to do). Organic cotton
farms are sometimes hard to come by, due to the investment the farmers must
make to grown true organic cotton. It is a very long and tedious process.
Therefore, the cost of goods is increased, which in turn requires an investment
from consumers. Although my experience is primarily with international vendors,
I would imagine US companies would encounter similar issues.
Because of the challenges that come with creating
sustainable products, it is imperative that consumers be willing to invest
their money and effort into making these products staples in their everyday
lives. It will require a shift in their dominant social paradigm (DSP).
Shifting the New
Dominant Social Paradigm in the Apparel Industry: Acknowledging the Pink
Elephant by Cosette
M. Armstrong explains how consumers rely too much on technology and efficiency
to solve our environmental problems. In order for our DSP to change, consumers
must acknowledge and address the pink elephant. A change in the “pattern of
practice” must be made in order for consumerism to change.
Want to learn more about organic cotton farming? Visit the links
below:
Hi, Shelby;
ReplyDeletePlease review the blog assignment directions for this week, which required both personal research as well as the referencing of all three readings. If you can revise by Tuesday, you will not be penalized. Thanks!
Shelby,
ReplyDeleteYou have a good start with your post, I like that you incorporated some of your personal experience with work. Maybe tie that in with the readings and articles from this week! Keep up the good work!
Hey Shelby!
ReplyDeleteI enjoyed how you incorporated the personal experiences from your current job, because I do believe contributing to sustainable design can start with your career. In order to prove your argument, it might be helpful to add more text from outside research which relates to your blog and add links for the readers to research on their own. I believe you are on the right track! Thank you for sharing!
Thank you for the feedback ladies!
ReplyDeleteDr. Armstrong,
Thank you for your response. I appreciate you giving me the opportunity to revise my blog post!! When I post my revise blog, should I delete this post?
Thanks!!
Hey, Shelby; you should be able to "update" this post, but if find you can't, you could simply post a new one with your additions. Thanks for a learning attitude!
DeleteDr. Armstrong,
DeleteI have updated my blog post for you. Again, thank you so much for allowing me to revise my first draft. I truly do appreciate it. I wanted to specifically ask you about my in text citing. Please let me know if I did it correctly. Any other comments/instructions are appreciated!
Thanks!
Shelby,
ReplyDeleteThough your blog was very interesting and well-written, I would have liked to seen more references from our readings. Maybe incorporated some outside sources too. Otherwise it was great to read and I hope you are able to continue to put experiences from your work in your posts!
Hey Shelby!
ReplyDeleteSorry it took so long to respond been having some trouble with internet. I think that you article is great. I love that you have incorporated your own personal experience, it shows that you understand what you are reading and can implement it. I was wondering on some factories that produce organic cotton? In our readings it constantly stated that it is imperative for all of the groups involved in design need to be on board to create high quality and sustainable products. What are your thoughts? Keep up the good work!
Natalie